-

29 August 2011

Little Lumberjack Party Sneak!

Since this isn't a popular theme, finding party supplies has been a challenge, a good challenge! I like that I have no choice but to make what I need! For example, a pinata. I searched everything I could think of to find a pinata to go with this theme, only thing I found were palm tree's and owls, I was afraid the owls would push it a little too much onto the "woodland" theme, not that I don't love that theme (and hope our little girl will let me do one!) but for this it just wasn't what I was looking for.

So I started thinking of how I can build one, I know the whole balloon method but I was going for a specific shape, a LOG! Here is what I have done so far

started with an empty oatmeal container
Cut a few slices in it that go about half way around, hoping that will make sure it breaks a little easier!
Then I did 1 layer of tissue paper to cover as much of the bright colors as I could. Our store didn't have any streamers, so I just used white tissue paper cut into the right length. I used some white glue and a little water with a sponge brush. 
Once there was a base layer  I started crinkling up some strips and attaching them, but not making them smooth, I wanted them to resemble bark, so lots of ridges and not too straight!


And I added a little branch off the side.

I let it dry overnight, it was still pretty soft, not too crunchy, but I don't want it to be too hard for the kids so it's perfect!

Then I started painting it! And I realize now, I should have painted the strips ahead of time, it would have been easier, probably taken longer, but still easier! I'm just using some acrylic paint.
Now I am just waiting for it to dry. Then I will add some details, but you will have to wait to see that! And I have a zip tie style hanger waiting to be attached also!

On the ends I am painting them a lighter color and just using a marker for some woodgrain, well that is the plan anyway! And since one end just snaps on, I don't have to worry about how I am getting the goods in it!

I think I will have 1 more sneak peak tonight, that I am way excited about.. as long as nap time works out for me!

4 comments:

  1. WOW, that is turning out so cute. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg that is fantastic! The funniest thing was just YESTERDAY I found this tutorial for concrete forms to make logs and was going to send tonight after I scanned it in! ...love yours more! Can't wait for the party!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So cute! I love everything you are coming up with! I can't wait to see all the pictures from the party to see how it all turns out together :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to see the rest of this party! Most of my family are alumus from a college where the lumberjack is the mascot! What a great idea! Thanks so much for linking it up to the Tuesday To Do Party! Can't wait to see what you've been up to this week!
    Smiles!
    Jami
    www.blackberryvine.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails