-

22 January 2010

Valentines Day 2010







I posted all my decorations last year.. you can find them HERE. I did do things a little different though... maybe I will try to take a couple pics in the next few days!
I don't think I have any new ones. Been looking for vintage inspired goodies but have had a hard time with it.

Our 2 oldest kids birthdays are the beginning of February so I try to hold off on doing Valentines Day stuff until after their party... But then I try to make everything pink or heart shaped for them! These are some of the kids favorites for
Breakfast
~Pink Cream of wheat.. and I use a candy mold and make the brown sugar heart shaped, or instead of brown sugar and pink dye you can use strawberry syrup, then its pink and sweet! (pic)
~Strawberry instant oatmeal with a few cupcake sprinkles
~Pink scrambled eggs
~pink heart shaped pancakes!
(you can do red, I prefer not to because to make it red you need a WHOLE container of red and I really don't want them to get that much food coloring)

Lunch
~Heart shaped sandwiches
~heart shaped quesadillas.. I cut out a few hearts before I cook them!
There is also some heart shaped pasta you can get at a few places I got these at Cost Plus World Market. They take much longer to cook.. but if you add some pink food coloring to the water for boiling your regular pasta it will make them pink.. but it is pretty pale colored!
Snacks
~I am sure there are way more but mine LOVE apples.. so apples with PB and a few sprinkles!

Alright.. and these aren't pink or heart shaped.. but the name alone makes them sweet! Thanks to Robyn at Housewife Cooking for the recipe!


Love Puffs
1/3 cup shortening*
1 cup sugar, divided
1 egg
1-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 cup milk
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
6 tablespoons butter, melted
In a small bowl, beat shortening, 1/2 cup sugar and egg until smooth. Combine the flour, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; add to the sugar mixture alternately with milk. Fill greased muffin cups two-thirds full. Bake at 350° for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 5 minutes before removing from pan. Meanwhile, combine cinnamon and remaining sugar in a shallow bowl. Roll the warm puffs in butter, then in cinnamon-sugar. Serve immediately. Makes about 1 dozen.*I like Butter Flavored CRSICO for the shortening. Picture at top is Love Puffs!













2 comments: